Thursday, May 24, 2012

The College Life

OK, so a month of no updates is totally unforgivable. I understand. But the past few weeks of adjusting into college life at INTI International University is... hard.

I gotta admit, the campus is really lovely and its in an isolated location where there is no distractions and it is the perfect studying environment. Check it out:




As you can see, the University is a pretty large place and that's just the office block. Its much larger than I imagined it after I took the campus tour. Its massive!

I haven't taken any photos of the place yet, but I'll give you the campus tour on my next post.

Anyway, 3 weeks of college is already killing me. I have about 6 assignments to finish by the first week of June and that's not even including the homework and reports the lecturers assigned us. Its a total chaos! I've never faced anything like this back in high school.

The other part is my social life. You'd probably would've realized by now that I'm a banana. If you don't know what I'm talking about, click here for my definition of 'Banana'.

Ok, back to the topic. So I'm a banana. And unfortunately, not everybody here is a banana either. Apparently, I'm the only Chinese in the class that speaks English while everybody else would rather speak in their own mother tongue; mandarin, cantonese, hakka, etc, etc,...

Worst is that these guys could hardly speak English! OK, they can speak English, but its broken English and sometimes, they would stumble with their words as they are not used to speaking the language. I wonder how will they cope with the course as all the subjects are taught in English and you have to be able to speak and write good English to do well in college.

So because I'm unable to speak mandarin, it was hard for me to make friends. Yes, I do have a few friends and most of my classmates have been friendly enough with me, but communication is hard between us and I honestly feel like a fish out of water just by hanging out with them for a while.


I feel like an alien especially when they start chatting excitedly in mandarin, probably sharing a joke, and I have to pretend to laugh even though I have no idea what the heck are they laughing about!

Btw, do I look like a hot alien or what? ;)

On the bright side, my classmates seems to like me nonetheless. We talk sometimes, they always say hi to me whenever we happened to pass by each other and I've been chosen to be the class rep and a secretary for another group assignment. But I think its also probably because I'm more fluent in English than they are.

But at the end of the day, I guess you could say that life's unfair. You either take it or leave it. I mean, just 3 weeks ago I was complaining about how dead boring and listless my life was before I started college. Now, I'm beginning to wish for my carefree life again.


Oh, the irony.




1 comment:

  1. Great contribution.Different way of writing format and it is helpful my writing.I enjoyed a lot.I am sure this is very helpful for all the readers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails